Norte! is Traverse City’s bike-centric, youth-focused 501c3 advocacy organization.
Our mission is to help build a stronger, better connected and more walk/bike-friendly Traverse City by inspiring the young and young at heart through bicycles.
We are developing the next generation of happy, healthy, strong leaders through our Safe Routes To School initiatives, Pro Walk/Pro Bike advocacy, mountain bike programming, youth empowerment projects and winter events.
Empowering elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to school:
- Fridays Fantástico – A weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school.
- The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment – A community-wide network of adult led bike train connecting Traverse City neighborhoods to neighborhood schools.
- Estrellas – A learn-to-ride program for preschoolers using balance bikes.
- Safe Routes To School Champions – Empowering passionate parents to advocate for active, happy, ready-to-learn kids at their school.
- Park & Stroll – For those students who attend a school of choice or live too far away from their home school. Drive. Park. Walk 5 minutes to school. Easy.
- Bike2Bus – Portable bike racks at neighborhood bus stops and mapping of safe routes to these racks to encourage “biking to bus”.
- Norte! Bike Library – Ensuring that awesome kids have awesome bikes to pedal to school no matter their family’s resources.
Advocating for more people on bicycles in Traverse City:
- TC Rides – Weekly community slow ride to promote an active lifestyle and create awareness for people on bikes in Traverse City.
- TC Bike Valet – Provides professional bike parking services at the Sara Hardy Farmers Market, National Cherry Festival, Traverse City Film Festival and other community events.
- El Barrio Bike Fix – A bike-powered, mobile bike shop and pizza fueled community bike fix event at the Clubhouse.
- TC Bike Month – May is for bikes in Traverse City.
- The Clubhouse – Norte!’s home at the Civic Center that also houses Traverse City’s community bike shop.
- Bike Night at The Bijou – Yay for mucho bicycles at our bike-tastic community theater.
- TC Bike Life – A story series featuring ordinary people doing ordinary things on their bicycles that aims to create awareness for the growing presence of people on bicycles in Traverse City.
- Bike Happy Pop-ups – Free coffee and bike tune ups. High fives, too.
- La Fiesta – Annual celebration of people on bicycles in Traverse City.
- Advocacy Grupo – Connecting awesome people passionate about best practice walk/bike infrastructure, forward thinking policy and smart community design for a more walkable, bikeable, livable Traverse City.
Building confidence and independence by way of adventures in our Northern Michigan forests:
- Vasa Domingos – Weekly shred on the Vasa. Mother’s Day to Iceman. Sundays. Noon.
- Fridays@TheCommons – Weekly ride on the Grand Traverse Commons trails. Summer. Friday evenings. 6.
- Chicas del Norte! – A grrrrrls! on bikes empowerment program.
- Norte! Racing – Dedicated to developing the next generation of fit, fast and positive bike racers in Traverse City.
- Traverse City Takes a Kid Mountain Biking – First Saturday in October.
Happy, healthy, strong young people being awesome.
- The Bike Mas Project – An adventure-based after school and summer camp building confidence, promoting independence and teaching bike safety program for upper elementary students.
- El Liderato – A youth leadership council that empowers young people to stand up, speak up, get involved and do good in their community.
- La Solución – A learn-to-wrench after school program for middle school students.
Winter in Traverse City is for embracing. Not complaining about ;)
- Winter Walk Wednesdays – A weekly celebration of people walking to work, school or just for fun during Traverse City’s coldest months.
- The Great Traverse City Shovel Experiment – Crowdsourced project to keep our neighborhood curb cuts and bridges clear to keep Traverse City’s sidewalks walkable/rollable all winter.
- TC Bike Plow – Bike-powered snow clearing initiative keeping neighborhood sidewalks and trails awesome.
- Winter Bike To Work + School Day – Riding your bike to work and school during the winter is a thing here in Traverse City. We inspired the world last year and we’re going to do it again in 2017.
- Christmas Tree by Bike – Bike-powered delivery of your Christmas tree to the City’s recycling drop site at Hull Park.
- Winter Bike Share – Traverse City’s small-scale, neighborhood-based, winter-only Bike Share project.