What’s The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment?
The “Experiment” is Norte!’s Safe Routes To School grant-funded program dedicated to empowering students to actively transport themselves to school in a fun and safe environment.
In partnership with TCAPS, we are expanding our city-wide Bike Train network to connect more Traverse City neighborhoods to more Traverse City neighborhood schools to allow more Traverse City youth to bike to school.
Our adult-led groups encourage elementary and middle school students to bike together while learning how to safely operate their bicycles on neighborhood streets and urban pathways. Students will become confident cyclists, learn independence, gain self-esteem, have fun and arrive to school alert and ready to learn.
The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment isn’t just a bike to school program, though, it’s about much, much more:
- The Bike Más Project: Our experienced-based after school program, will be back at Traverse Heights Elementary. It aims to develop the next generation of active, healthy, engaged young leaders in Traverse City through bike repair, education, safety and adventure.
- Bike To School Fridays: Be awesome. Win Pie!
- El Barrio Bike Fix: Our neighborhood learn-to-wrench program.
- Principals On Bikes: The 3rd Friday of September, October, April and May. Because kids love pedaling to school with their principal. They really do.
- Bike2East: East Middle’s at-school bike program
- Traverse City Walks To School Day: Save the date! October 7, 2015.
- The Bike (or Walk!) To Bus Stop Initiative: Encouraging students who can’t bike to school to bike )or walk!) to their bus stop.
- International Winter Bike To School Day: We shocked the world in 2015. Look for more of the same in February 2016.
- Traverse City Bikes To School Day: Our community-wide, multi-school celebration of National Bike To School Day will be on Wednesday, May 4, 2016.
As always, meet at F&M Park at 5:45. Rolling at 6:00.
TC RIDES is Traverse City’s weekly community bicycle ride. It’s goal is to create awareness for the growing presence of people on bikes in Traverse City. Our ride will be followed by some eating, drinking, merrying and learning about the “Experiment” at The Little Fleet.
The TC RIDES route:
Boardman Lake/River. 6 different neighborhoods. TART. The Open Space. Beautiful West Bay. Clinch Park. Maybe the most lovely 8 urban kilometers ever. You’re welcome to hop on anywhere along the route if you can’t make it to F&M Park by 6.
TC RIDES Community Partners:
$1 from each beverage at The Little Fleet, $1 from each purchase at The Daily Blend Food Truck, Roaming Harvest and White On Rice food trucks will go to support Norte! and our youth-focused programming.
Bike Happy Bike Mas. Bike To School.