With inspiration from The US Surgeon General’s recent call to action for more walkable communities for people of all ages, we’re excited to launch Winter Walk Wednesdays(WWW). What began as a way to keep our Safe Routes To School bike trains moving during the winter has evolved into much more – a weekly, community wide celebration of people – big and small – walking to work, school (or just for FUN!) in Traverse City.
Don’t get us wrong, Norte! LOVES bikes but after seeing nearly 500 kids show up for Traverse City Walks To School Day this fall, we realized that walking is awesome too:
- It’s a wonderful way to make connections with neighbors, friends, classmates and co-workers.
- It’ll make you smart! Walking has been shown to improve academic performance and creativity.
- It’ll allow you to make new discoveries and see the beauty that is Traverse City.
- It‘ll inspire those around you. People walking creates more people walking!
- It won’t take as long as you think it will. It really won’t.
- It’ll make Traverse City stronger. Healthier citizens. Fewer cars. Less pollution.
- It’ll get you in the right frame of mind for a busy day ahead.
- It’s a great way to get in some fresh air and exercise, of course.
Here’s How It Works:
- Commit to walking to work, school, as an errand or just for FUN! every Wednesday this winter.
- Invite a classmate, co-worker, neighbor to walk with you. Walking with friends is the best! Walk more. Connect more.
- Share your walk-tastic image with us using #WalkTVC or via Facebook (facebook.com/NorteTC), Twitter/Instagram (@elgruponorte), e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org) and we’ll add it to our community photo collage.
WWW starts January 6th and goes through March. It’s going to be awesome! Promise.
So let’s set those alarms a little earlier on Wednesdays, eat a solid breakfast, invite a friend, dress smart and build a better connected Traverse City together.
We’re inviting all of Traverse City’s walk-tastic businesses/organizations/clubs to get involved as WWW Community Partners to help promote and encourage Traverse City to walk. Email Ty at email@example.com to request promottional materials and have your name added to our Community Partners list.
And remember, we want to see how you Winter Walk Wednesdays! Can we build a 500-person strong community photo gallery before spring break? We think so!
Let’s do this, Traverse City.
Walk Más. Winter Más. Connect Más.