Thanks to many, many awesome people including all sorts of bike train conductors, walking school bus drivers, awesome principals and teachers, bike safety instructors and supportive parents, we had a fantastic fall of active, happy, ready to learn kids getting themselves to school across TC.
A few highlights:
- We still have some work to do but walk/bike numbers are up. See above graphic.
- Shattered the TC Walks To School Day record with 847 kids walking to class TC wide.
- The Bike Mas Project graduates it’s 6th class from Eastern, Traverse Heights and Central Grade. We’re looking to expand this important bike safety program to every neighborhood school in TC.
- Our first Walk to The Bijou was a success. Look for another coming this spring.
- Principals Being Awesome saw 4 principals, yep, you guessed it, being awesome by walking/biking to school with their students. <—- kids love this!!!
- Eastern’s pilot of “prioritized dismissal” has been successful both as an incentive for kids to walk/bike and as a safety measure so they can get a head start on the cars.
What’s coming up?
- The walk/bike audits for the infrastructure grant have been pushed back to the spring.
- The Estrellas will be at 4 schools doing their balance bike thing this winter!
- Winter Walk Wednesdays start after break on January with the next Principals Being Awesome on Wednesday January 25th.