Fridays Fantástico is a weekly celebration of students walking, biking and rolling to school in Traverse City.
Fridays Fantástico aims to encourage elementary and middle school students to actively transport themselves to school as well as to grow walk/bike/roll culture at our partner schools.
The benefits of walking, biking, rolling to school are many:
- better concentration in class
- less traffic congestion near schools
- improved cognitive abilities
- stronger sense of community
- safer streets: communities with the higher walk/bike rates have lower crash rates for all travel modes
- a distraction-free time to connect with families and classmates
- less air pollutants from automobiles
So invite a classmate and commit to being awesome by walking, biking or rolling to school every Friday .
Do you live too far from school to walk or bike? Maybe you don’t have a safe route to school from home? No worries, you can still participate.
** If you take the bus to school, walk or ride your bike to the bus stop. This totally counts as awesomeness. We have a limited number of Bike2Bus pop-up neighborhood bike racks for popular bus stops. If you can talk some buddies into biking-to-bus with you, let us know HERE and we’ll pedal one over.
** Does your mom or dad normally drive you to school? Ask them nicely to leave a little earlier on Fridays, park a little bit away from school and then walk the last portion. Drive2Walk. It’s a thing. And it’s awesome.
Eastern’s Park & Stroll locations
Want a Park & Stroll map for your school? Let us know. We’re here to help.
** Or hop on a bike train. Norte! currently operates 16 bike trains which connect 11 Traverse City (and Suttons Bay!) neighborhoods to 8 of neighborhood elementary and middle schools.
- The Eastern Star Express
- The Eastern High-lander
- The Eastern Special
- The Eastern Star Line
- The Eastern Flyer
- The Central Grade Zephyr
- The Central Grade Coastal Classic
- The Central Grade Limited
- The Montessori Trolley
- The Montessori Meteor
- The Montessori Bay Express
- The Traverse Heights Golden Arrow
- The Willow Hill Comet
- The West Middle Empire Builder
- The Westwoods Rebel
- The Leelanau Montessori Water Wheel Express
Learn more about our Safe Routes To School programs HERE
Get involved as a parent or volunteer HERE.
Read the Top 10 reasons why you should become a Norte! Bike Train Conductor HERE.
Print the Fridays Fantástico poster HERE.
Bike Más. Walk Más. Roll Más.