The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment is a Safe Routes To School grant funded program dedicated to empowering students to actively transport themselves to school in a fun and safe environment.
In partnership with TCAPS, we will expand our city-wide Bike Train network to connect more Traverse City neighborhoods to more Traverse City neighborhood schools to empower more Traverse City youth to bike to school.
Our adult-led groups encourage elementary and middle school students to bike together while learning how to safely operate their bicycles on neighborhood streets and urban pathways. Students will become confident cyclists, learn independence, gain self-esteem and arrive to school alert and ready to learn.
Our bike trains also provide social connections to friends and neighbors, help reduce motor vehicle traffic congestion and air polluting emissions near schools and build a stronger, better connected Traverse City.
The Great Traverse City Bike Train Experiment isn’t just a bike to school program, though, it’s much, much more:
- The Bike Más Project: Our experienced-based after school program, will be back at Traverse Heights Elementary. It aims to develop the next generation of active, healthy, engaged young leaders in Traverse City through bike repair, education, safety and adventure
- Bike To School Fridays: Be awesome. Win prizes
- El Barrio Bike Fix: Our neighborhood learn-to-wrench program
- Principals On Bikes: The 3rd Friday of September, October, April and May. Because kids love pedaling to school with their principal. They really do
- Bike2East: East Middle’s at-school bike program
- Norte! Kids Bike Library: Allowing preschool and lower elementary students to borrow bikes. For free!
- Traverse City Walks To School Day: Save the date! October 7, 2015
- The Bike (or Walk!) To Bus Stop Initiative: Encouraging students who can’t bike to school to pedal (or walk!) to their bus stop
- International Winter Bike To School Day: We shocked the world in 2015. Look for more of the same in February 2016
- Traverse City Bikes To School Day: Our community-wide, multi-school celebration of National Bike To School Day will be on Wednesday, May 4, 2016
Current list of Norte! Bike Trains:
The Eastern Express
The Eastern High-lander
The Eastern Special
The Eastern Flyer
The Central Grade Zephyr
The Central Grade Coastal Classic
The Central Grade Limited
The Montessori Trolley
The Montessori Meteor
The Montessori Bay Express
The Traverse Heights Golden Arrow
The Willow Hill Comet
The West Middle Empire Builder
10 reasons why being a Bike Train Conductor is awesome HERE
We need more (lots more!) Bike Champions! If you’d like to bring más bicycles to your neighborhood school, please email Ty Schmidt, Norte!’s Safe Routes To School Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Bike Happy. Bike Más. Bike To School in TC.