With generous support from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan, TBA Credit Union, Traverse City Track Club and Oryana Community Co-op, Norte! is excited to once again host Traverse City Walks To School Day, a community-wide, multi-school celebration of National Walk To School Day on Wednesday, October 5th.
500+ students from across Traverse City walked to school last year. Can we double that in 2016? Yes, yes we can!
We will also be crowning The Most Walk-tastic Traverse City School! That’s a big, big deal. Eastern “won” last year. Can the Stars repeat? Help your school that the 2016 title by committing here:
Everyone is welcome – Pre K to 8th grade as well as teachers, staff and principals too. If you live too far from home, drive to one of our “Park & Stroll” locations. A 5 minute walk to your bus stop totally counts too.
Don’t get us wrong, we LOVE bikes but sometimes we enjoy a nice walk to school too:
Walking to school is known to improve academic performance.
Walking to school gives children good life experience.
Walking to school gets children outdoors.
Walking to school provides daily exercise for children.
So set those alarms a little earlier on October 5th, eat a solid breakfast, invite a friend or 6, strap your backpack on and join us.
TCAPS Montessory @ Glenn Loomis
Don’t see your school? Sign it up HERE.
For those kids too young to walk on their own, Norte! will be transforming our community-wide network of bike trains into “walking school buses” for the day to connect our neighborhoods to our neighborhood elementary schools:
2016 Walking School Bus Schedule
- In the alley between 5th and 6th Street behind Mrs. Walter’s and Mrs. Arnold’s house (612 6th Street): Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40. Bus driver: Ashlea Walter.
- 9th/Wadsworth: Redeemer Presbyterian Church: Meet at 7:40, walking at 7:50. Bus driver: Judy Arnold.
- 10th/Lake: Oryana: Meet at 7:35, walking at 7:45. Bus driver: Kaitlyn Burns.
- Division/14th: Tom’s: Meet at 7:40, walking at 7:50. Bus driver: Miranda Grant.
- Arbutus Court Park (map HERE) : Meet at 8:00, walking at 8:10. Bus driver: Stephanie and Josh Wilson.
- Jupiter Park: Boyd at Rose Street: Meet at 8:00, walking at 8:10. Bus driver: Gary Howe/Erin Reicha
- Civic Center: Front of Howe arena: Meet at 8:20, walking at 8:30. Bus driver: Ty Schmidt
- Clancy Park: Meet at 8:25, walking at 8:35. Bus driver: Rebecca Sketch.
- Corner of Highland/Cherry Lane: Mrs. Stahl’s house: at 8:25, walking at 8:35. Bus driver: Nikki Stahl
- East Bay Park: Meet at 8:20, walking at 8:30. Bus driver: Jon Robinson
- TC Water Treatment Plant: 2010 Eastern Ave (Map HERE): Meet at 8:25, walking at 8:35. Bus driver: Kara Madion.
- Thirlby Stadium: 13th and Pine: Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40. Bus driver: Jodi Jocks.
- Oryana: 10th/Lake: Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40. Bus driver: Laura Otwell
- Open Space: Parkway and Union: Meet at 7:30, walking at 7:40. Bus driver: Carrie Smith
- Principal Tiesworth’s house – 1122 Fisher Road. Meet at 8:15, walking at 8:25. Bus driver: Juli Tiesworth
- Darrow Park: Meet at 8:15, walking at 8:20. Principal Sides-Mackay.
Thank you, Community Partners!
Our friends at Oryana will be generously providing healthy snacks at their “bus stop” for TCAPS Montessori, Holy Angels and Central Grade students.
The Traverse City Police Department will also be walking to school with us. How awesome is that?
We are looking for extra volunteers to help keep the kids safe, count walkers at school and hand out highfives. Please sign up HERE.
Email questions to email@example.com.